Mmm. Meat. Who doesn’t love meat? I love Hillshire Farms meat. When I was offered the chance to review some great lunch meats from Hillshire Farms, I jumped at the chance. Since both of my kids are back in school (and I want to avoid the unhealthy school-offered options) a great sandwich is the way to go. I found myself salivating over the options at the grocery store.
Smoked Chicken Breast? Brown Sugar Ham?
I got both and invented my own sandwich which definitely tickled my tummy! For my first sandwich I compiled all my ingredients on the counter: Hillshire Farms Brown Sugar Ham, 100% whole wheat bread, Colby jack cheese and, an unusual touch, buttermilk ranch dressing. I don’t do boring sandwiches.
Sandwich two was just as yummy and here’s the photo evidence:
Pictured: Hillshire Farms Smoked Chicken Breast lunch meat, whole wheat bread, provolone cheese and warmed sweet bbq sauce. I actually had to make another sandwich when it came time to write this post because I just didn’t feel the first picture was quite good enough….
Hillshire Farms also provided me with LunchTime Tips! and at first I thought how hard could it really be to make a sandwich? As it turned out I learned quite a bit about things that had never occurred to me before. I’m going to share my favorite informational facts and tips from Hillshire Farms on making lunch the best it can be!
o Our premium quality lunch meat is made with no by-products or artificial flavors
I didn’t know that! But in my house that is one quality I strive for because my kids have special dietary needs!
• Hillshire Farm is offered in a double-sealed, re-sealable tub that is designed to lock in freshness and great taste. No package keeps lunch meat fresher, longer
Another awesome feature! I love the tub! I wash them out and then use them for Barbie clothes or crayons. That’s helping the earth too. (If I could, my only complaint is that the meat is all folded up inside the container. It’s probably just my OCD tendency but I hate that the meat rips apart when you try to take some out. But it still tastes fantastic!)
• To keep sandwiches crispy and delicious, place a single layer of premium quality lunch meat on each slice of bread, then spreading the condiments on those. The meat creates a barrier between the bread and the rest of the ingredients.
• The Fresh Squad suggests insulated lunch bags as the best choice for school lunches. Some insulated lunch bags are equipped with freezer packs. If not, try freezing juice boxes or reusable bottled waters instead of adding freezer packs. The boxes or bottles will thaw to provide a refreshing beverage and keep the sandwich fresh.
• Be sure to choose the right bread for your sandwich. Keep in mind that the more moisture in the fillings, the drier and denser the bread should be. Breads with thick crusts work perfectly, or swap your regular bread for flour tortillas, bagels, English muffins or pitas. Grill or toast the bread to add crunch and flavor.
I love these ideas. And Hillshire Frams wants to give you the chance to put these tips to use with their lunch meats! Here’s what I’m giving away courtesy of Hillshire Farms:
TEN Coupons for a free product from Hillshire Farms (set amount per coupon)
I’m going to pick three lucky readers to win coupons for Free Meat! The grand prize winner will receive FIVE coupons, second place winner will receive THREE coupons and third place winner will receive TWO coupons! All winners will be drawn at random.
Here’s how you can enter: (one entry per item)
1. Leave a comment on my blog. Tell me what you love about Hillshire Farms or give me a lunch tip of your own!
2. Follow me on Twitter @BlogMamaAndrea
3. Follow me here at Blogging Mama
The contest runs from now until Tuesday September 7, 2010 at 11:59 eastern and is valid for residents of the US only.
Good luck everyone and Goooo MEAT!